Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thing 16 wikis

My only acquaintance with wikis had been Wikipedia. It can be interesting and seems to cover every subject imaginable, but I would not trust it for research. Looking at library wikis was a new experience. I like the subject guide on the St. Joseph Library wiki. It organizes all types of material on a subject in one place. For example the subject gardening includes, new books (with the covers), magazines, local Farmers' Markets.

The Library Success wiki included a Library Programs database. This could be very useful when looking for basic ideas for programs. I did check for some programs that interest me such as the American Girls. The ideas given were very sketchy. The value all depends on what is added by the participants. I did get a good booklist on libraries on the library tour program site.

1 comment:

IrmBrown said...

Did you check the HCPL wiki ... there's a variety of things people have added there: http://hcpl.pbwiki.com/
hang in there ... you're almost done.