Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thing 15 Future of Libraries

When I'm traveling, I like to visit small towns and their classic book and wooden shelf libraries. They represent my ideal library. "Libraries of the future"
sound like technology hubs to me. I wonder how we at HCPL would feel if our circulation dropped dramatically like Rick Anderson's library did when the patrons began to use all the technology, databases etc. that was offered. I think he did conclude with a good blend of the old and new.

The high school library in the Ripple Effect newsletter was a good example of incorporating the new into the basic library. This innovative use of new technology starting in the early 1990's was of great benefit to this small school. I really liked the emphasis on using ILL. I get books from all over the country when I want them. HCPL has a great ILL service.

No comments: